Volunteers: Making a Difference
Volunteering is a proud tradition at Simi Valley Hospital, dating back to when the hospital opened its doors in 1965.
That same volunteer spirit that began more than three decades ago still exists today and has made a tremendous difference in the lives of our patients, hospital guests and staff. In 2000, the Department of Volunteer Services contributed approximately 38,000 hours of service, supporting essential hospital activities and providing other important community services, such as the Lifeline Program.
Over the years, the Department of Volunteer Services has also contributed valuable dollars to assist with the purchase of medical equipment, such as the Recovery Room Mobile Station in the Surgery Department ($7,500) and the Bili-Lite Pad System in the Nursery ($2,400). Simi Valley Hospital volunteers really do make a difference!
The Definition of a Volunteer
Simply put, a Simi Valley Hospital volunteer is anyone who is willing to donate his or her time to help healthcare professionals with a variety of needs. Volunteers have unique talents and use them in their free time to benefit the hospital. Here are some of the ways volunteers help out on a daily basis:
- Greet and assist visitors at the front reception desk.
- Clerk in the Volunteer Guild Gift Shop.
- Assist nursing personnel or the physical therapy staff.
- Aid the Emergency Department staff in providing emotional comfort for those in need.
Volunteers can choose from among a variety of times and days of the week to provide service to the hospital. The Department of Volunteer Services will work with you to determine what is best for your schedule.
Becoming a Volunteer
Volunteering for Simi Valley Hospital is easy. Here are the steps involved to get you on your way:
- Complete an application and come in for a personal interview.
- Agree to volunteer for a minimum of four hours each week.
- Undergo a physical and a PPD (tuberculosis) skin test.
- Train to work in your chosen department.
Simi Valley Hospital also has a Junior Volunteer program, available to those 14 to 18 years old.
The Benefits of Volunteering at Simi Valley Hospital
Here are some of the benefits of volunteering at Simi Valley Hospital:
- Volunteers receive a free meal in the hospital cafeteria for every four hours worked.
- Volunteers receive a 10% discount on all gift items in the hospital gift shop.
- Volunteers are invited to the social events planned by the hospital.
- Volunteers receive Valuable Assets, the organization’s monthly newsletter for volunteers
- Volunteers are covered by worker’s compensation insurance.
For a volunteer application or for more information on becoming a volunteer, please call the Department of Volunteer Services at (805) 955-6952 or e-mail the director, Dottie Curameng.