MAKING A DIFFERENCE
Volunteering has always been a proud tradition at Simi Valley Hospital, dating back to when the hospital opened its doors in 1965.
That same volunteer spirit that began more than four decades ago still exists today and has made a tremendous difference in the lives of our patients, hospital guests and staff.
In 2005, the Department of Volunteer Services contributed 23,000 hours of service, supporting essential hospital activities and providing other important community services, such as the Lifeline Program.
Over the years, the Department of Volunteer Services has also contributed valuable dollars to assist with the purchase of medical equipment in the Emergency Department ($5,363), Rehabilitation Therapies ($1,280) and Telemetry ($10,000).
The Definition of a Volunteer
A Simi Valley Hospital volunteer is anyone who is willing to donate his or her time to help healthcare professionals with a variety of needs. Volunteers have unique talents and use them in their free time to benefit the hospital. Here are some of the ways volunteers help out on a daily basis:
- Greet and assist visitors at the front reception desk.
- Clerk in the Volunteer Guild Gift Shop.
- Assist nursing personnel or the physical therapy staff.
- Aid the Emergency Department staff in providing emotional comfort for those in need.
Volunteers can choose from among a variety of times and days of the week to provide service to the hospital. The Department of Volunteer Services will work with you to determine what is best for your schedule.
Becoming a Volunteer
Volunteering for Simi Valley Hospital is easy. Here are the steps involved to get you on your way:
- Download an Adult Volunteer Application Packet now.
- Complete the application and come in for a personal interview.
- Agree to volunteer for a minimum of four hours each week.
- Undergo a physical and a PPD (tuberculosis) skin test.
- Train to serve in your chosen department.
Simi Valley Hospital also has a Junior Volunteer program, available to those 15 to 18 years old. Applicants must be enrolled in high school to be considered.
The Benefits of Volunteering at Simi Valley Hospital
Here are some of the benefits of volunteering at Simi Valley Hospital:
- Volunteers receive a free meal in the hospital cafeteria for every four hours worked.
- Volunteers are acknowledged annually at a special banquet in their honor.
- Volunteers receive a 10% discount on all gift items in the hospital gift shop.
- Volunteers are invited to the social events planned by the hospital.
- Volunteers receive Valuable Assets, the organization’s monthly newsletter for volunteers.
To begin the process, download an Adult Volunteer Application Packet now. For more information on becoming a volunteer, please call the Department of Volunteer Services at (805) 955-6952 or e-mail the director, Jeremy Brewer.